The driver’s job is to transport passengers safely and reliably to work, school, appointments, and life skill classes.
- Operate an up to a 20-passenger wheelchair lift-equipped bus to transport passengers in a safe manner.
- Transport passengers on a fixed route schedule or on-demand curb-to-curb service.
- Assists passengers on and off the bus including special needs and wheelchair-bound passengers.
- Must be courteous and respectful at all times and make passengers feel comfortable about using NTS transportation.
- Collect fares and sell tickets to passengers for using NTS transportation.
- Safely handle passenger misconduct.
- Keep the NTS vehicles clean at all times according to department guidelines.
- Communicate on two-way radio as required. Must keep in contact with dispatch at all times, keeping transmissions objective, professional and related to the business of the bus operations in accordance with the Federal Communication Commission (FCC) and departmental regulations.
- Strictly adhere to all local, state, and federal driving laws.
- Carry required driver’s license at all times.
- Read and follow all policies and information in the Driver’s Handbook.
- Keep accurate records and complete reports as required.
- Purposefully conducts all aspects of the job in an ethical manner in support of Horizons' commitment to ethical behavior in all areas of personal and professional activity.
- Note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Customer Services Approach, Good Time Management Skills
EXPECTATIONS FOR ALL EMPLOYEES:
- All employees shall be responsible to learn and comply with all safety and health rules and regulations applicable to their work. It is their further responsibility to support Horizons in providing a safe place to work and to protect themselves, co-workers, and clients against injuries or illnesses.
- Understand HIPAA regulations and report potential infractions to Human Resources.
- Recognize and build on the cultural diversity of our clients and co-workers. Display sensitivity and responsiveness to cultural differences of staff and clients.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
The Driver position prefers a minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent. Two years of relevant driving experience is preferred.
HOURS AND SCHEDULE EXPECTATIONS:
Part-time flexible hours
Night and Weekends
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Must be able to drive a 20-passenger van or bus equipped with a wheelchair lift. Must be able to read, write, and speak English in order to communicate with clients, co-workers, and supervisors; read policies, handbooks, and training materials; and read the schedule and passenger manifest. Must be a good, safe driver. Must have good time management skills. Must be able to lift 40 pounds. Must be able to push a wheelchair with a person weighing up to 300 pounds. Must be able to climb in and out of a vehicle repeatedly for the length of the work shift. Must be able to understand written, visual, and other sensory stimuli. Must be able to work in a respectful manner with all customers and multidisciplinary team members. Must demonstrate a cooperative, courteous, dependable working performance. Must possess high integrity and maintain confidentiality at all times.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Horizons is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- A valid Iowa Commercial Driver’s License (CDL), Class C or above, with the passenger endorsement is preferred. A minimum of Iowa chauffeur’s license with the passenger endorsement is required.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- Must not possess any other state-issued driver’s license.
- Must pass a Department of Transportation (DOT) physical exam, which includes both a urine drug test and a Breathalyzer alcohol test every two years as mandated by the Federal Transit Administration (FTA).
- Maintain a good driving record as determined by Horizons’ insurance company and the Department of Motor Vehicles. NTS will obtain a Motor Vehicle Report yearly.
- Must supply all needed records.
- Must be able to be certified as not having been involved in criminal activity.
- Must provide a vehicle for own transportation.
- Must possess a valid Iowa driver’s license.
- Must possess valid auto insurance.
- Must be able to be certified as not having been involved in abuse to children or adults.