Horizons depends on volunteers to help us fulfill our mission to serve the Cedar Rapids community.
Each area of the agency has its own unique volunteer needs, from delivering meals to teaching a financial literacy course to administrative tasks. Check out Horizons’ full list of volunteer opportunities below! To get started volunteering, fill out Horizons Volunteer Application
Volunteers will also be asked to fill out the following forms:
Background Check documents
You can get in touch with our Volunteer Coordinators if you have any questions.
319-398-3943 ext 1012
319-398-3943 ext 1202
Consumer Credit Counseling
- CCCS Support - Answering phones, scheduling appointments, data base maintenance, compiling statistics and surveying clients
- Financial Educator - Deliver financial literacy information in the community
Mental Health Counseling/Family Outreach Program
- Mental Health Support - Filing, copying and mailings
Meals on Wheels
- Drivers - Delivery of hot meals between 11am and 1pm, 7 days a week. Delivery of Breakfast bags Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday; delivery schedule is flexible.
- Produce Prep Worker - Prepare fresh picked produce for use by Meals on Wheels during the spring/summer growing season.
- Gardener – Plant and tend Horizons/Community Gardens, harvest produce and deliver to production kitchen
- Congregate Nutrition Program- Provide educational programming or entertainment to Older Adults, facilitate activities, assist with meal service and clean-up
- Sharing Local Foods Program- Cleaning, trimming, packaging and preserving fresh local foods to be used for meals and distribution to clients
- Reception - Answering phones and directing clients
- Office Support including; filing, faxing, copying, data entry
- Database Management
- Grant Writing
- IT Support
- Building Maintenance
- Janitorial Services
- Beautification of outside grounds
Special Event Volunteers
If you have any other skills or talents you would like to share please let us know.
- Lunchbox (February 8-14, 2014) - Assist with food preparation, packaging, or delivery for week long fundraiser for Meals on Wheels
- Turkey Trot (November 15, 2014) - Walk/Run with breakfast being served to raise funds for Horizons programming
- Summer Meals Site Leaders - Serving meals to children at various locations throughout the community while schools are on summer break
- Summer Meals Delivery Driver- Delivering meals to Summer Meals Program locations